In the new expansion Legion, each class and each spec acquire their very own weapon. This weapon will follow them through their entire journey on Broken Isles, and every step on the way will grant more power to the weapon. Mistweaver Monks embark on their journey for the legendary Sheilun, Staff of the Mists. Sheilun was used by the last emperor himself to divide Pandaria from the main land and cloak it in mists.
The artifact Sheilun is your new companion in Legion and it will accompany you through the entire journey. You will quest with your artifact, raid with your artifact, eat and sleep with your artifact. Your weapon will grow in power just like you do, and in this guide I will go through all the steps on how to empower your weapon.
- Refractive Shell
- Infusion of Light
- Light’s Embrace
- Secure in the Light
- Murderous Intent
- Master of Shadows
- Light Speed
- Other traits…
Sheilun is acquired at the start of your journey to the Broken Isles. It can be empowered in several ways: artifact power which unlocks artifact traits in its progression tree; relics which determine the artifacts item level and empower one trait; knowledge which determines how much artifact power you earn. Both artifact power and relics can be earned by all types of content in Legion!
Full List of Traits (A-Z)
Blessings of Yu’lon – Activating Revival summons the spirit of Yu’lon, healing all Revival targets for an additional 30% of Revival’s heal over 6 sec.
Celestial Breath – Activating Thunder Focus Tea causes you to exhale the breath of Yu’lon, healing up to 6 allies within 12 yards for ((90% of Spell power) * 3) over 3 sec. Rising Thunder: This can only occur once every 30 sec.
Coalescing Mists – Increases healing done by Effuse by 13%.
Concordance of the Legionfall – Your abilities have a chance to trigger Concordance of the Legionfall, increasing your primary stat for 10 sec.
Dancing Mists – Renewing Mist has a 10% chance to immediately spread to an additional target when initially cast or when traveling to a new target.
Effusive Mists – Effuse causes Sheilun to generate a cloud of mist.
Essence of the Mists – Increases healing done by Essence Font by 20%.
Extended Healing – Increase the duration of Renewing Mist by 4 sec.
Infusion of Life – Increases healing done by Vivify by 20%.
Light on Your Feet – Channeling Essence Font for its full duration increases your movement speed by 30% for 3 sec.
Mists of Life – Life Cocoon applies Renewing Mist and Enveloping Mist to the target.
Mists of the Broken Temple – Increases healing done by 10%, damage done by 10%, and Stamina by 10%.
Mists of Wisdom – Increases all healing done by 3%.
Mistweaving – Sheilun’s power over the mists, almost overwhelming at first, has become second-nature over time, allowing you even greater mastery of your powers.
Increases healing done by 5%.
Protection of Shaohao – Increases damage absorbed by Life Cocoon by 20%.
Sheilun’s Gift – Draws in all nearby clouds of mist generated by Sheilun, healing the target for (200% of Spell power) per cloud absorbed.
Shroud of Mist – Reduces all damage you take by 13% while you are channeling Soothing Mist.
Soothing Remedies – Increases healing done by Soothing Mist by 13%.
Spirit Tether – Your Transcendence Spirit reduces the movement speed of nearby enemies by 50%.
Tendrils of Revival – Reduces the cooldown of Revival by 40 sec.
The Mists of Sheilun – Your healing spells have a chance to awaken Sheilun, increasing your healing over time by 20% for 10 sec.
When this effect ends, Sheilun releases a wave of mist that heals all allies within 15 yds for (200% of Spell power).
Way of the Mistweaver – Increases healing done by Enveloping Mist by 13%.
Whispers of Shaohao – Consuming the Mists of Sheilun causes each active mist to additionally heal a nearby target for (200% of Spell power).
Progression Tree – Step 1
Traits for Later:
- Celestial Breath (Good, but difficult to use without wasting the healing)
- Light on Your Feet (skip till end)
Mists of Sheilun and Dancing Mists are your first priorities, and then Blessing of Yu’lon. Of the major traits, Celestial Breath should be the last to pursue.
Progression Tree – Step 2
After you have empowered your Artifact (through a questline introduced in 7.2) you can unlock new traits.
Relics are a new type of gear slot that you put directly into your artifact. They come in different item levels and rarities; difficult content gives the best relics! There are different types of relics as well, such as storm, life, frost, blood, arcane, shadow, light, etc. Sheilun uses Frost relics and Life relics initially. The third slot for the Storm relic unlocks when you have finished the Monk Class Campaign.
Item level usually determines which relic you should choose. However, if you choose between relics of roughly the same item level prioritize the following:
- Essence of Mist (increased healing for Essence Font).
- Infusion of Life (increased healing for Vivify).
- Tendrils of Revival (10 sec reduced cooldown on Revival), Extended Healing (1 sec longer duration of Renewing Mist).
- Way of the Mistweaver (increased healing for Enveloping Mist).
- Extended Healing, Tendrils of Revival, Infusion of Life.
Knowledge about Sheilun can be gained through research. In the Monk Class Hall, you can find Lorewalker Cho west of the temple. You can start your research with him by funneling Order resources to work orders. It takes several days to research Knowledge, so start as early as possible! Once you’ve gained higher knowledge, you will earn more Artifact power and it’ll be easier to both empower Sheilun and also funnel the left-overs to Fu-Zan and Fists of Heavens if you want to keep your off-specs relatively viable.
Artifact Models and Locations
Sheilun has several different appearances. These can be unlocked by doing various different content and you can then change the appearance in your Class Hall’s artifact forge (the turtle head for Monks). Developers have hinted that the Artifact models may become transmog appearances in future expansions, as long as they were unlocked while Legion were current content. In other words, unlock as many as possible while you can!
Sheilun, Staff of the Mists
- Tint 1: Unlocked by the artifact introduction quest that you pick up in your Class Hall.
- Tint 2: Recover one of the Pillars of Creation by completing any of the major quest lines in a Broken Isles zone:
- Tint 3: Recover Light’s Heart and bring it to the safety of your Order Hall.
- Follow the quest line that starts with A Falling Star, given by Khadgar in Dalaran.
- Tint 4: Complete the first major campaign effort with your order. Quest line starts in the Class Hall.
Toll of the Deep Mist
- Tint 1: Complete the Monk class hall campaign.
- Tint 2: Unlock every Artifact trait.
- Tint 3: Research the full history of your class hall.
- Tint 4: Complete the achievement “This Side Up” by obtaining eight of the rare archaeological finds.
- Tint 1: Complete the quest line, “Balance of Power”. This lengthy quest line starts in the Class Hall with the quest The Power Within at level 110, when Sheilun’s power has grown sufficiently (criteria for unlocking the quest are yet unknown in its entirety).
- Tint 2: Complete the achievement, “Unleashed Monstrosities” by killing 8 of the 10 world bosses in Broken Isles.
- Tint 3: Complete a Mythic+ Dungeon using a level 15 keystone.
- Tint 4: Complete the achievement, “Glory of the Legion Hero”.
- Tint 1: Reach Prestige level 2 by PvP activites.
- Tint 2: Reach Prestige level 6 and earn a Crest of Heroism.
- Tint 3: Reach Prestige level 11 and earn a Crest of Carnage.
- Tint 4: Reach Prestige level 15 and earn a Crest of Devastation.
Breath of the Undying Serpent
- Tint 1: Unlocked by Breath of the Undying Serpent that drops from the Dragons of Nightmare in the Emerald Nightmare.
- Tint 2: Complete 100 dungeons using a hidden artifact appearance.
- Tint 3: Complete 200 World Quests using a hidden artifact appearance.
- Tint 4: Kill 1000 enemy players using a hidden artifact appearance.
Essence of Calm
- Tint 1: Unlocked through the challenge “End of the Risen Threat” when the Mage Tower building is up at Broken Shore. It’s a difficult scenario that pushes your skills to the limit. Recommended item level: 910+.
- Tint 2: Defeat Heroic Kil’Jaeden using this Challenge Artifact Appearance.
- Tint 3: Win 10 Rated Battlegrounds using this Challenge Artifact Appearance.
- Tint 4: Defeat all Legion Dungeon Bosses using this Challenge Artifact Appearance.