The Monk Blog for Legion changes has arrived and dropped a bomb on all of us Mistweavers. Many changes are ahead of us – but remember, the blog only shows the basic rotation; we haven’t seen the talents (and there will be many many new ones), which are the ones that will bring depth and complexity to our spec. With that in mind, we have only seen a glimpse of what Mistweaving will be like in Legion. Not to mention, there will be a roller-coaster ride of changes in the Beta, and you can be a part of shaping the new Mistweaver by giving feedback.
In this post I will give my initial thoughts on the new changes. I will put heavy focus on Mistweavers (naturally), but I’ll also mention Windwalker and Brewmaster changes at the end. Apologies for the length of the post, but there is so much to discuss! And I blame Blizzard, they welcomed feedback so warmly I just had to go all out.
Summary of changes, collected from the Monk blog and Developer tweets:
What we have lost:
- Chi – “Mistweavers will now use Mana, not Chi, as a resource, since it reduced choices and restricted gameplay in many situations.”
- Crane Stance / Eminence – “We’re also focusing Mistweavers solely on healing, rather than supporting a type of mixed attack-healing gameplay that felt awkward and ultimately didn’t live up to our goals for the spec—it was unintuitive, and chiefly useful as a mana management tool.”
Melee Spells– “Mistweavers will now be treated like other ranged specs for the purpose of encounter ability targeting.”
- “Mistweaver will still have melee abilities for dealing damage, they’re just not dual-purposed into providing smart heals.”‘
- “During an encounter where you can’t be in melee, Crackling Jade Lightning makes a good fallback.”
- Will make a blog post on this subject.
- Uplift – replaced with the two new spells Vivify and Essence Font.
- Soothing Mist
- Your Effuse, Enveloping Mist, and Vivify also trigger Soothing Mist.
- After casting these spells, you continue to channel healing mists into the target, healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action.
- Developer Comments
- Need efficient healing? Cast any heal and let Soothing Mist continue to provide free healing as long as you feel comfortable!
- Need high-throughput healing? Cast any heal and move onto the next target in need of healing, without spending time on Soothing Mist.
- For Mistweavers, it’s OK to have open global cooldowns between heals—Soothing Mist fills these gaps.
- “Soothing Mist has a channel bar, but no duration. We’re considering multiple options for how interrupts affect it.”
- “Currently, we’re trying it beeing uninterruptible. We may also try having it interruptible, but on the Physical school.”
- Renewing Mist
- 5% Mana, Instant, 6 sec cooldown
- You surround the target with healing mists, restoring a huge amount of health over 20 sec.
- If Renewing Mist causes any overhealing, it will travel to the most injured ally within 20 yds.
- When Renewing Mist heals, it has a 4% chance to increase the healing of your next Vivify by 50%.
- “Our goal with Mistweaver Monks is to accentuate the existing characteristics that define them, and resolve some core gameplay issues. In simple terms, this means we’ve redesigned their abilities so that you can directly use the spells you want rather than having to set up an excessive amount of other abilities first.The most prominent example of this was Renewing Mist, which served primarily as a setup for Uplift; we’ve reworked Renewing Mist to stand on its own…”
- Enveloping Mist
- 6.0% Mana, 40 yd range, 2 sec cast
- Wrap the target in healing mists, healing them for a huge amount over 6 sec, and increasing healing received from your spells by 30%.
- Mana Tea – “Mana Tea is no longer present in its current form, but there is a new variant of it in talents.”
- Statue – “There is a talent that brings back the Statue for players who miss it.”
- Effuse (Single Heal)
- 1.8% Mana, 40 yd range, 1.5 sec cast
- A fast and efficient spell, healing the target for a minor amount.
- “Effuse is a fast and cheap way to start Soothing on a target. It’s the Monk’s answer to spells like the Priest’s “Heal.”
- Essence Font (AoE Heal)
- 8.0% Mana, 40 yd range, Channeled
- Unleash a rapid twirl of healing bolts at up to 6 allies within 25 yds, every 1 sec for 3 sec.
- Each bolt heals the target for a moderate amount, plus an additional moderate amount over 8 sec.
- “The channel on Essence Font is there to help balance its large amount of total healing. At 3 seconds, it’s still quite flexible.”
- Vivify (Cleave Heal)
- 5.0% Mana, 40 yd range, 1.5 sec cast
- Cause a surge of invigorating mists around the target, healing them and their 2 nearest injured allies for a moderate amount.
- Mistwalk (Talent)
- 40 yd range, Instant, 20 sec recharge, 2 charges
- Instantly dash to an ally, and heal them for a large amount.
- Mastery (NEW): Gust of Mists
- Your targeted heals also cause a gust of healing mists, instantly healing the target for a minor amount (increasing with Mastery from gear).
- “It’s fairly different from other healer masteries: it’s a flat amount, not a percentage.”’
- Invoke Chi-Ji, the Red Crane (Talent)
- “We love Chi-Ji too! Keep an eye out for a new talent: “Invoke Chi-Ji, the Red Crane.”